babyNOIR explores the world - of fashion, food, new words, first steps, cool toys, baby classes, music, and lots more.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

coconut juice and baby

When my baby Kharin had a 48-hour diarrhea, I gave her sippy cups full of coconut juice.  She loved it so much, she drinks it now every day.  I initially thought of coconut juice, standing in the supermarket, looking at the bright color of Pedialyte - does it have to be colored like this??? - and repeating the pediatrician's words in my head.  He had said, "you need to prevent dehydration by continuing nursing, and giving her electrolyte liquid like watered down sport drink or Pedialyte."  So - I thought - we need some liquid that has electrolyte in it so Kharin's body can absorb fluid easily.  Then I remembered me drinking coconut water while I was pregnant, because my midwife had told me to drink it.  It is full of electrolyte!

I didn't hesitate giving it to her, although there isn't any conclusive scientific advice for or against coconut water for infants or toddlers that I could find.  There are lots of articles on line for the benefit of coconut water in general, though.  I figured I was okay with it since she is now over 12 months old and I hadn't heard or read anything against coconut water so far.  Kharin recovered from her 48-hour-bug without getting dehydrated, and she continues to happily drink it every day.

It now seems almost fashionable to drink coconut water.  Even Madonna's involved.  But, good things are good, with or without being the fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment