babyNOIR explores the world - of fashion, food, new words, first steps, cool toys, baby classes, music, and lots more.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

penmanship and thank you notes

A Future Calligrapher
A Future Calligrapher,
originally uploaded by buddhadog.
I read an article about Socialkidz on mommypoppins the other day. In Socialkids classes, small kids learn about the etiquette and good manners we all would like our babies to know. Like good handshakes, eye contact, introducing yourself to people, and thank you notes.

That got me thinking - my husband has always been saying he wants our baby to take Japanese calligraphy classes. He's in love with the whole idea, though he can't really articulate why. In my elementary school in Japan, calligraphy was a part of the curriculum and I always took it for granted. But, I do think having a decent penmanship is socially important. So is sending hand-written thank you notes.

I have an okay penmanship, and thank people with emails if I remember to send anything at all.

Our children should be better people than we are. Or, we shoot for it to come true as parents. No?

I may or may not enroll baby Kharin in Socialkidz when she gets older, but I will make sure I will at least teach her everything I know about becoming a respectful, polite person.

No comments:

Post a Comment